This is a simple healthy meal to throw together on a weeknight and it tastes good too! I will say that cooking Salmon can be a bit tricky at times for me. Especially when I bake it in the oven. I hate when I over bake it by accident and see that gooey white stuff oozing through the top when I take it out of the oven. The site of that has me knowing it will be super dry. This Cast Iron Skillet stovetop version to make Salmon makes it much easier to keep an eye on and prevent overcooking. It doesn’t take long to sear so it’s not a big ask to keep an eye on it. Practice makes perfect, but this has so much flavor and I really suggest trying it!
- 2 individual size salmon filets about 4 oz. each
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (I use Low-Sodium Soy Sauce)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Sesame seeds to garnish
- Pat the salmon fillets dry with paper towels.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together olive oil, soy sauce, Dijon mustard, and garlic. Pour half the mixture over your salmon and set aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
- Once the pan is hot, place the salmon filets in skin-side down in the pan and cook over medium-high heat for 4 minutes. Using a spatula to get between the skin and pan, carefully flip. Lower the heat to medium and cook for 4 more minutes (depending on how thick your salmon is).
- Transfer to a plate and pour additional sauce over top of the salmon and serve with your choice of sides.
Broccoli (Roasted, Steamed, or however you like)
Jasmine Rice with Spinach Mixed in (shown in the photo above). Recipe follows.
Jasmine Spinach Rice Recipe
Defrosted Frozen Chopped Spinach
This is super simple. Follow the instructions for the Jasmine Rice on the package that it comes with. Once you finish those instructions and get to the last step of fluffing the rice with a fork take a taste of the rice. Add butter, salt, and pepper to taste and as much chopped spinach as you’d like. I just eye balled it. Mix well and serve immediately.